Yes, she is royalty, but unless you’re a citizen of
Great Britain, don’t curtsy or bow to the queen.
Over the weekend my husband and I saw a great movie and got me thinking about royalty. We saw the King’s Speech and what a delightful true story, we both loved it. Listed below are a few bullet points for all of you, just in case you are in a situation where you’re able to meet a royal.
- Address all correspondence to the ” The Private Secretary of Her Majesty the Queen,” not the queen herself. Request the correspondence be communicated to her royal person.
- Contact the queen at the following address: Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, Buckingham Palace, London SW1A 1AA, England
- Greet the queen as “your majesty” initially. Use Madame thereafter
Accept the queen’s offer of a handshake, and of course, a bit of conversation if she’s willing.
- Don’t show the queen your back, if you’re following tradition, and leave the room only after the queen does. Keep in mind that times have changed and formalities have eased.
- If you have gloves on, remove them.